Hints & Tips

To ensure you get the most from our products we recommend following these simple guidelines.

 
 

The First Burn

The first burn is the most important. We recommend burning your candle for two hours for the first time as it’s important that the candle wax pools to the edges. Candle wax has memory which means if your candle doesn’t burn to the edges, it will create a tunnel effect and won’t burn evenly next time. 

Trim your wick to ¼ inch and clear away the trimmings. Debris in the wax can cause the flame to flicker and lead to soot and blackening of the glass. 

Keep the candle away from air streams like air conditioning vents, windows or fans for the same reason.

 

Burn Safe tips

  • Always put candles on a heat resistant surface. Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic. TVs are not fire-resistant objects.
  • Position candles away from curtains or other fabrics and keep them out of draughts.
  • Don’t put candles under shelves. It’s easy to forget that there’s a lot of heat above a burning candle and if you put it under a shelf or other surface then it can burn the surface. Make sure there’s at least three feet (one metre) between a candle and any surface above it.
  • If there’s any chance you could lean across a candle and forget it’s there, put it somewhere else. You don’t want to set fire to your clothes or your hair.
  • Candles should be out of reach of children and pets.
  • Leave at least four inches (10cm) between two burning candles.
  • Extinguish candles before moving them and don’t let anything fall into the hot wax like match sticks.
  • Extinguish candles before you leave a room. Never go to sleep with a candle still burning, and never leave a burning candle or oil burner in a child’s bedroom.
  • Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out. It’s safer than blowing them, which can send sparks and hot wax flying. Double check they’re out. 
 

Diffuser Safe Tips

  • Never place a diffuser directly on a finished surface or allow the fragrance oil to come in contact with a finished surface. Diffuser oils can and will cause permanent damage to many furnished surfaces, fabrics or materials. Use a plate, a coaster and extreme care.
  • Keep your diffusers away from children and pets. Do not ingest fragrance oil.  Contact your doctor immediately if accidental ingestion occurs.
  • Place diffusers on a stable, flat surface – in an area where it will not get knocked over or disturbed and keep diffusers away from open flames and heat.
  • Never light the ends of diffuser reeds.